Sunday, June 14, 2009

I need to learn Luganda

So, we've been just hanging out around here for awhile, and of course we've talked to Ugandans. Dustyn can speak Luganda, so he uses it. But I can't and people assume I can when he does. So he gets to be all cool and joke around with them, then they turn to me and all I can say that's somewhat neutral is, "Kale, Ssebo." And they're like "oooooookay...." Or... he gets to tell them his cool Buganda name and then they ask me my name and I'm like, "Erin." "oh" So yeah I need to learn Luganda soon. This is gonna be an ordeal without it. In fact, I was just informed by the person that I bought internet time from that I should be knowing it. Also, it's really difficult to speak with kids when you don't know how to say anything and can't understand them.
We're having a meeting with Educate! today to see what we can do and we'll have an informative meeting with MUMYO on Monday. Going back to Naggalama tomorrow for the week.
It's really weird being here without 11 mzungus, though we have been hanging out with a bunch at the guest house this weekend. It's a lot easier to get around for sure, but just different. I like it, though. We went to lunch today with 13 people and it just felt strange to be in such a large group again. Too much of a spectacle.
Hung out a little in Kampala yesterday,went to Garden City, National Theater, etc. Not sure how much we'll be in Kampala this trip. Sadly, I'm most comfortable there since we spent the most time there in December. So I know my way around and everything. But I wish I was most familiar with another place in Uganda, like Gulu. But we will get to go there next weekend.
That's all for now, hope everything is good at home!

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I'm sure they have a Rosetta Stone in Lugandan..... Just joking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Alex, they do. It's just horribly expensive.

    ReplyDelete